My experience with the softball

Posted by starwin on 11:01 AM


"I got interested in softball thanks to a hard nut, my sister". She was a firebrand lady who would always egg me for a game of softball, after I would come from the school. She wanted me to leave the TV for some time and come out to practice for an hour. Just to make her feel good, I would give in. After having my first swing (with the bat, of course) at the age of seven, I became hooked to the game.

I remember being asked by one of my fans, as a child what did I like the most about the softball. I told her batting was the best part because it made me run. I could simply run with the game when I batted! It was just yesterday when I played the game as I perched as a pitcher. Now this is really a tough call because one irresponsible swing from the batter could change the topography of your face and body. Since you are very close to the batter, you have to be careful at every step. Nevertheless it is more thrilling than playing second base, which I am normally at.

I clearly remember my first hit on a competitive arena. I do have a photo of the 'picture-perfect' hit. As I took my stand in the batters' box, I remember the ball, looking as big as a grapefruit coming toward me. I could hear my sister yelling at the top of her voice, in the background, "Focus. Move a little forward."

She had told me that if I did not know where to stand in the batters box, then I am out for sure. I don't know what prompted me go after the ball but as I saw it coming on to me, I knew I had to take my chance. No more did I hear my sister persistent groaning, I just saw the ball in front of my eyes and gave it a sharp whack, as soon as the ball rose an inch off the ground. The hit won me accolades and my sister treated me with a mouthwatering fruit cake.

Now fruit cake is my weakness. I knew that I would get to lay hands on the fruit cake only if I play, and play well. I guess you must be thinking we are quite a sporty family. Yes we are, because my family had this religious fascination for sports like softball and baseball and my sister was a fanatic. But I was an anarchist. I would rather put my dancing shoes and head for the ballet. But then as I said, the swing had me hooked.